Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum

Full Version: engine replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Good afternoon, I'm seriously looking at purchasing a 1990 sycro camper which still has the original 2.1 motor with +- 225000 ks on the clock. From research undertaken sofar I'm told by numerous "experts" that this motor was not very good, and that spare for this paricular engine are very difficult to come by.
With this in mind what would you recommend as an engine replacement? I happen to come across an American website who were punting the 2.5 Sabaru motor as one of the better replacement motors.
Please would you be so kind as let me know what you are recommending here in South Africa. What I'm looking for is an engine that will fit under the excisting engine cover, spare parts freely available, have plenty of low down talk, but beable to cruise comfortably at 100-120kms ( not interested in competions and the likes). If you are able to also supply a ball park figure for the complete transpant would be of great assitance when it comes to the negotiation stage.
Thanks for your assistance
Bob Vorster
Jeffreys Bay
The only engine that will fit your requirements is the subaru 2.5. If you go this rought though i would highly recommend using the subaru management.
Russel
Russel is correct about the suby motor, but a Golf 2.0i motor is also able to be fitted under the deck, parts for this are just expensive, give me a call and we can chat

012 327 0006 or 083 629 9951
Stuart
Thanks everyone for your reponses, Stuart its great to hear that spares are indeed available for the 2.1 and that one can have the motor rebuilt in need. If possible I would like to keep everything as standard as possible so if I experience a problem I should beable to source parts.
bob vorster Wrote:Thanks everyone for your reponses, Stuart its great to hear that spares are indeed available for the 2.1 and that one can have the motor rebuilt in need. If possible I would like to keep everything as standard as possible so if I experience a problem I should beable to source parts.

Think Stuart was Referring to the "Sleepy" Golf motor that also fit in under the std engine cover

I also got a Camper Syncro and do have one of those "Sleepy" Motors that I will be fitting in my one eventually as there is a small space between the lid and Bed bottom to pack chairs etc in

On the 2.1 WBX Motors down your side, the Andreno guys do have parts and we Have parts to repair the WBX motors here in JHB as well

But on the long run I recon the 2L Long block in Sleepy configuration in the Camper is a good choice
My bus had the "laydown" version of the Toyota 3C-T (2.2 turbo diesel) before that fitted without modding the engine cover.
Search for Toyota Lucida Estima 2.2td engine to see some pics. Exactly the same as the 3C-T, just diferently designed.
Lots of low down torque, but lack of High speed cruising. You will still be able to do 110KM/h uphill and on straights.
Conversion kits are readily available too.
110km/h thats good! and dont you have heat problems.?
Where did you find the engine?
Hi johan

remember that is a 2wd drive bus, airflow etc and gearing is different to a syncro,

stuart
O! There goes my bubble!!
Thanks Stuart
Dont dismiss the 2.1 to quickly.
A good 2.1 is a nice engine if looked after.
Russel
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's