Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum

Full Version: Buying Tyres for the Zim Trip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to start prepping for the Zim Trip and need advice to what tyre will be a All rounder for not just for this trip but for normal use
Keep in mind I do have the High Roof Cox Camper with slight suspension lift and I do have 15" Rims
What should I look for and basic pricing
I know they eint cheap but not wanting to be a cheap skate neither breaking the bank

30x9.5/15 ?
What engine do you have fitted. 30's on a cox will catch you front wheel arches. With a 2.1 2.3 or 2L golf engine it will also be underpowered.
I would suggest 215 80 15's.
You also want a high load rated tire.( BFG All Terrain)
Conti word contact is a nice tire aswell and cheaper than the BFG.
Russel
I fitted G/Y Wrangler AT/SA recently (215/80/15) and it a nice all rounder, The RT/SA that is poplar with the Mitsu Colts is more road biased. I had Yokahama Geolander's previously, not a strong tire side wall wise.
BFG give a hard ride due to its 3ply sidewall, very strong but I prefer Bridgestone above BFG, so much smoother on the road. I got the Wranlers for free from my Sis inlaw, so going to see there performance.
Russel is right on the size,215/80 R15,

I don't like BFG's, just fitted Wranglers to the camper, i would alos consider the conti tyres, see whatvyou can get on special
syncromad Wrote:Russel is right on the size,215/80 R15,

I don't like BFG's, just fitted Wranglers to the camper, i would alos consider the conti tyres, see whatvyou can get on special

What Wranglers did you fit and what was the cost / Tyre I need to buy 6 as I want 2 Spare wheels on the back
Picture of the Wrangler tread patern

Picture of the Conti thread patern

I like the Tread Patern of the Conti

Which one of the 2 would be a better All rounder ?
I have been using the conti's on a syncro for about 20 months with one puncture. These have been used deflated a lot in sand.
They were on the bus when i bought it and have worn well.
Hans has a set on his bus as well and is very happy with them.
Nice all round tire and NOT noisy on road.
Russel
i prefer the conti's , fitted the wranglers because they they had available on the sat morning,

i am running 245/75R15 as is Paul, but you need a suspension lift for that, and my bus is a 16",

we used 215R15 conti's on org's syncro in Bots 3 years ago, at 1.5 bar we were running great in the sand.

all AT type tyres are as good as the next, buy what suits the budget best.

stuart
Going through the same dilemma here - currently running Bridgestone D694 215/75 15. This tyre is no longer available in this size and is replaced by the D697. They look identical, so not sure what's different. Price quoted by Autoquip after discount is about R1,760 each.

I then considered Conti World Contacts or Conti Cross Contacts in a 215/80 15. I think the price is the same - R1,461 each at TWT. I really wish tyre companies would refrain from quoting VAT exclusive prices. It catches me out all the time. The local Conti Partner outlet quoted me R1,295 on World Contacts, but was that VAT incl or excl. Now I'm not sure.
Checked the price at Conti Partner - R1,290 VAT Inc for World Contacts 215/80 R15.
Nico Wrote:Checked the price at Conti Partner - R1,290 VAT Inc for World Contacts 215/80 R15.

Must check I got a Quote from a mate of mine for around R1100 inc
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's