Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum

Full Version: My Synthia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi gang,

I just had my little girl arrive today, she's a 1992 model Ex-Telstra (telecom) van. This is my very first VW and one I've wanted for many years. My plans are to fit a Subaru EJ25 engine with EJ22 heads and then fit a carby and dizzy on her. Being my first Syncro, I'm not sure how the whole system works, so I'll be asking a few questions and please excuse me if they sound dumb, as I don't have a manual or an operators manual.

1. How does the 4WD system work?
2. How do I check the coolant level in the radiator?
3. What does the "G" mean on the gear stick?

Sorry if these have been answered before but I'm still learning my way around this wonderful website. Oh... here's a pic of Synthia Smile
[Image: Synthia.jpg]
looks really nice welcome to syncro sa.

1. How does the 4WD system work? it is permanent 4wd, SA syncros had front and rear diff locks, actuated by the buttons on the dash, was and option for europe and the states
2. How do I check the coolant level in the radiator? you don't you check it when cold in the pressure bottle in the engine bay
3. What does the "G" mean on the gear stick? "G" is for Gelandegang, which is german for the low or overland gear, it is the gear used for steep obtsacles, thick sand etc.

what motor does it have?

looks in good nick.

stuart
Welcome. Looks like a nice panel van.
Just don't use your diff locks on hard surfaces and only use front one on very soft surfaces.
Russel
(12-04-2013 04:50 PM)syncromad Wrote: [ -> ]looks really nice welcome to syncro sa.

1. How does the 4WD system work? it is permanent 4wd, SA syncros had front and rear diff locks, actuated by the buttons on the dash, was and option for europe and the states
2. How do I check the coolant level in the radiator? you don't you check it when cold in the pressure bottle in the engine bay
3. What does the "G" mean on the gear stick? "G" is for Gelandegang, which is german for the low or overland gear, it is the gear used for steep obtsacles, thick sand etc.

what motor does it have?

looks in good nick.

stuart

Hi Stuart, Thanks for your kind words and your answers to my questions. My van doesn't seem to have any switches on the dash for diff locking. Would they say "Diff Lock"? The original engine was a 2.1Ltr but now she has a 1.9Ltr in her. Synthia has a few dents on the LHS and 2 small rust spots, one on the front screen and one on the rear screen but other than this, she is in good nick. I would like to get her painted but in 2 minds as to whether or not to leave her white.

Cheers,
Paul

(12-04-2013 06:57 PM)Russel Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome. Looks like a nice panel van.
Just don't use your diff locks on hard surfaces and only use front one on very soft surfaces.
Russel

Hi Russel, Thanks for your kind words and your advise on using diff locks. I'm not sure if I have these or not? How do I tell if I have them or not? If I don't have them, would it be easy enough to fit them? They sound like a good thing to have, especially as I like to do a lot of beach driving.

Cheers,
Paul
As far as i was aware all Aus vans had front and rear lockers.
just above the gear lever and below the top of the dashboard there should
be a panel with 2 pull nobs on it. these control the lockers.
Russel
Post a pic of the area just under where ther radio ids or would be then we can see whether it is a diff lock syncro or not,

Stuart
Welcome, hope you enjoy her.
Xavier
Hi Welcome and congrats on the P/V

One of the Easiest ways to check if you got Diff locks is go under the Vehicle and on the RHS of the Back box check if there is a Blue Vacuum Container and LHS Front
with small Vacuum Hoses Attached then you will know if the Functions are there
(12-07-2013 02:08 PM)Russel Wrote: [ -> ]As far as i was aware all Aus vans had front and rear lockers.
Russel

Cannot see any controls for it Sad

(12-07-2013 09:08 PM)syncromad Wrote: [ -> ]Post a pic of the area just under where ther radio ids or would be then we can see whether it is a diff lock syncro or not,

Stuart

[Image: IMAG0564.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0565.jpg]

(12-13-2013 05:44 AM)xavier Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, hope you enjoy her.
Xavier

Cheers. I'm hoping to start work on her next year. I've decided to keep her EFI and just fit an EJ25 engine in her. Do you know of any adaptor plates to join the Subaru engine to the VW gearbox?

(12-13-2013 07:48 AM)Bugger Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Welcome and congrats on the P/V

One of the Easiest ways to check if you got Diff locks is go under the Vehicle and on the RHS of the Back box check if there is a Blue Vacuum Container and LHS Front

Cheers. I will have a look underneath her
(12-13-2013 05:53 PM)Aussie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2013 02:08 PM)Russel Wrote: [ -> ]As far as i was aware all Aus vans had front and rear lockers.
Russel

Cannot see any controls for it Sad

(12-07-2013 09:08 PM)syncromad Wrote: [ -> ]Post a pic of the area just under where ther radio ids or would be then we can see whether it is a diff lock syncro or not,

Stuart

[Image: IMAG0564.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0565.jpg]

(12-13-2013 05:44 AM)xavier Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, hope you enjoy her.
Xavier

Cheers. I'm hoping to start work on her next year. I've decided to keep her EFI and just fit an EJ25 engine in her. Do you know of any adaptor plates to join the Subaru engine to the VW gearbox?

(12-13-2013 07:48 AM)Bugger Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Welcome and congrats on the P/V

Cheers. I will have a look underneath her

According to that Picture you do not have the engagement Equipment for Diff locks either front or back so short is no Diff locks Sorry mate

According to your Gear lever you actually have a very Special Syncro

As it can drive Sideways HEHEHEHe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's