Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum

Full Version: Big window syncro -front and rear inner and outer cv joints
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Syncronauts.

Can anyone perhaps supply me with the specs of the cv joints for the big Window Syncro circa 1992?

Marius
Rear is the 108mm used on the newer busses, even the 2wd

Front may vary because there was two sizes.
Think it 90 & 98mm
(09-29-2014 10:40 AM)EcLiPsE Wrote: [ -> ]Rear is the 108mm used on the newer busses, even the 2wd

Think it 90 & 96mm

Thanks EcLiPsE!

So the rear joints will be easy to source and fit. Just some more info:

My Syncro was one of those built after the the Syncro's was discontinued by the factory. One of the Dirk Ellis conversions. She is a beauty, but the suspension needs some urgent attention.

Would the late models be the 90mm? and is the inner and outer front cv joints the same part? Should I be able to get them from Goldwagen? Is it a simple enough job for myself to attempt?

When searching the forum for posts w.r.t cv joints, I found that there is a lot of uncertainty w.r.t the right brand of joints as well as problems with the longevity of the joints. Any help will be appreciated as my budget is pretty tight this time of year and I do not want to do the job twice ;-)

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Marius
(09-29-2014 10:59 AM)Digger Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2014 10:40 AM)EcLiPsE Wrote: [ -> ]Rear is the 108mm used on the newer busses, even the 2wd

Think it 90 & 96mm

Thanks EcLiPsE!

So the rear joints will be easy to source and fit. Just some more info:

My Syncro was one of those built after the the Syncro's was discontinued by the factory. One of the Dirk Ellis conversions. She is a beauty, but the suspension needs some urgent attention.

Would the late models be the 90mm? and is the inner and outer front cv joints the same part? Should I be able to get them from Goldwagen? Is it a simple enough job for myself to attempt?

When searching the forum for posts w.r.t cv joints, I found that there is a lot of uncertainty w.r.t the right brand of joints as well as problems with the longevity of the joints. Any help will be appreciated as my budget is pretty tight this time of year and I do not want to do the job twice ;-)

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Marius

Doing the CV's is not hard but its one of the least liked jobs that one would want to do because of the "messy grease business" ;-)
If you have mechanical background it should not be a problem for yourself to do them.

I would suggest that you get the proper branded replacement cv's and boots and not the ones from GW(Everyone here on the forum would tell you the same)

If I must replace mine ill only settle for Porsche 930(Upgrade cv's) and a decent set of boots.(If you dont have the money for that now... like me ;-) then settle for a good secondhand set that youll probably get for around R150.00/pu.. i had a decent secondhand set and it runs with no problems.

About the size of the front cv's, youll be better off measuring them and post here so someone can assist..
Most rears are 108mm, but checked to make sure. Spoke to someone last week about CVs and his bus has 100mm. Front inner are 100mm and front outers can be 90mm or 96mm. My Doka has one 90mm and one 96mm in the front. Will be changing them to 90mm pretty soon.
Now I am utterly confused!?
My front shafts are 25mm in diameter. Does that help?

Does not have a vernier to measure the actual joints...
Your front outer joints are the smaller ones then.
Russel
Reference URL's