Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum

Full Version: What size spare wheel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Guys,

I need some advise please. I run my Syncro on 215/80/15 tyres. The spare does not fit in the carrier under the front of the bus and I do not want to keep my spare wheel carrier on the back, quite cumbersome to keep on undoing the bolt to swing the wheel out of the way to open up the back door. I would like to get another spare wheel only for emergencies - obvious not the same size as the current set - what size tyre do I need and where can I get a rim for it?
Hi Dawid,

it needs to be the same size as your others else you will damage the VC, or you need a decoupler to run smaller wheels on the front. or go back to original 14" 205 R14 rims and tyres, then the spare fits in the front

stuart
(08-18-2015 08:12 AM)syncromad Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Dawid,

it needs to be the same size as your others else you will damage the VC, or you need a decoupler to run smaller wheels on the front. or go back to original 14" 205 R14 rims and tyres, then the spare fits in the front

stuart

Hi Stuart,

The idea was only to use it emergency when getting a flat and then from there to the nearest tyre shop to replace or fix, I also carry a tyre repair kit and compressor and would first try and fix the flat before changing the tyre. On longer trips (out of town) I will certainly put the correct size spare on the back carrier or in the back of the van. I am however concerned about the distance I can travel with the "non matching" tyre size on one wheel - what is your suggestion? I would not want to change back to the smaller rim size.
Hi Dawid,

you can then fit a 205R 14 as a daily spare, but i would suggest then taking the prop out if using the 14" as a spare, just to save the VC

stuart
Thanks Stuart. Do you have a rim and tyre or rim only available for me? not too worried about the tyre condition.

Anyone else perhaps with one lying around? I will buy it off you. I live in Witbank, but can collect in Pta / Jhb or surroundings.
Hi Dawid.

i just got a 205/70 R15 conti world contact tyre in, nice condition, just need to see if it fits in the front, but it should,

will let you know in the morning.

stuart
So did it fit?
just need to fit it to a rim first, bit hectic here
Yes it fits on a VW Rhein Mag wheels
Ok cool - do you know if the spare wheel drop down tray is the same size between trays that took the 1980s 205/70 14s and the the 1996 - 2002 205/65 15s?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's