Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum

Full Version: Baksteen - My Doka Syncro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
For those that don't know yet this is my doka Syncro, Baksteen (Brick in English), and yes, it is because of the aerodynamics. Big Grin
I have had him since mid 2007. Another forum member, Adri had him built by Syncro hospital. Most of you would have noted that it is a converted 2wd doka. Originally it had an 2.1 wbx motor which gave good service until the no 3 cylinder started losing compression. The 2.1 was changed for a 2.5 Oettinger wbx and it was the best engine I have had in the Syncro. That was until it broke a piece of the one valve stem. After replacing all the valves with stainless valves, it had a short stint in the doka until another problem developed. In desperation I bought a secondhand 2.3 wbx but that only lasted a month until it dropped a valve seat on no.1 cylinder. It then stood for 9 months while I did a 2.0 Golf conversion and it still has this engine. It has done almost 19000km since I did the conversion in Sept 2010 and I am very happy.
I have in the past year lifted it, fitted offroad shocks and some nice tyres, and dual spare carrier. The best addition was the SyncroSa spare wheel covers! :lol:
I still want to add an aircon and some spots and maybe a canopy.

This what it looked like when I bought it from Adri in 2007.
[attachment=5]

This is what it looks like now.
[attachment=4]

Spare wheel carrier
[attachment=1]

With Cover
[attachment=0]

Last weekend I started fitting the new rear sliding windows. I think the result is not half bad. Unfortunately there was a mix up with someone else's order and mine, so I ended up with 2 left hand windows.

Rear slider
[attachment=3]

Side slider
[attachment=2]
hi, now thats a very lekker facebrick. Smile Tell us for those that dont know like me, how much is involved in converting to syncro. The basics are change gearbox or add to it, new front section and
driveshaft and move the fuel tank, and the cost is it a better option than buying another bus. thanks. and more pics please. Tongue
Stuart would probably the best guy to explain what is involved. I am just happy that someone went through the trouble of doing the conversion, as I really enjoy driving it!
Thats a nice clean looking doka you have there.
Do you not get hassles for the spare wheels blocking the rear lights.
Russel
very nice

The spare wheel cover looking good there

where did you get the sliding windows from ?
Russel Wrote:Thats a nice clean looking doka you have there.
Do you not get hassles for the spare wheels blocking the rear lights.
Russel

Thanks Russel. Not as nice as yours though. Big Grin

I haven't been hassled yet, but Stuart is rectifying the problem. Should have the modified carrier shortly. We lifted the wheels slightly and moved it outwards as well.
deanace Wrote:very nice

Dean, I think Pierre had them made at your connection. He made the side ones about 5mm to big so it's a pita to get it installed without damaging the rubber. I even had to cut the inner lip a bit and the two top corners are still not 100% the way the should be. Pierre said that he would chat to the guy about modifying them again.
very good looking result on the sliding windows 8-)
BHM Wrote:
deanace Wrote:very nice

Dean, I think Pierre had them made at your connection. He made the side ones about 5mm to big so it's a pita to get it installed without damaging the rubber. I even had to cut the inner lip a bit and the two top corners are still not 100% the way the should be. Pierre said that he would chat to the guy about modifying them again.

I ended up Loading my Doka on the Trailer 2 weeks ago and took the Doka to the Window guy
He measured the opening and Glass that came out of the Doka and could not believe that the Glass was in the Doka
So they Short end the Frames another 10 or so mm and I managed to get my Sliding windows in But now they are so Tight I can not open and Close the Window
So I spoke to him and it looks as if they are going to have to make new smaller Glass and make the frames smaller from the top to bottom side as they can not cut the Glass smaller

Will keep you all Posted
My next dream car is a DOKA definitely it looks more manly than a measly bus, oops sori fellow bus owners, no offence but the dunn thing got sum attitude baldly written alova its face jong :roll: :roll: :roll:
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's