Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum
15" Brake Upgrade - Printable Version

+- Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum (http://syncrosa.co.za/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Brakes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: 15" Brake Upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=1341)

Pages: 1 2

15" Brake Upgrade - benniebez - 03-06-2013 08:36 PM

Ok, still too busy to phone Russel or the guys that know about this. Got the 15" calipers and bought ATE discs and pads. Now came the first hassle, the discs would not go over the hub's inner ring. Had the discs i/d increased by 1mm to fit, but didn't fit flush to the stub of the bus axle. Had them increased by 1mm again(total of 2mm now) and it fits. Now the calipers catch my rim, as if the dish is to close to the caliper. Will fitting a normal wheel spacer sort this? Should I rather have the disc's i/d increased more to have a complete flush fit?

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - Russel - 03-06-2013 09:06 PM

Hi Bennie
I have just sent you a PM about this.
Wot rims do you have fitted.
Russel

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - EcLiPsE - 03-06-2013 09:15 PM

Some pictures would be nice ;-)

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - Dirty Germ - 03-07-2013 07:07 AM

benniebez Wrote:Ok, still too busy to phone Russel or the guys that know about this. Got the 15" calipers and bought ATE discs and pads. Now came the first hassle, the discs would not go over the hub's inner ring. Had the discs i/d increased by 1mm to fit, but didn't fit flush to the stub of the bus axle. Had them increased by 1mm again(total of 2mm now) and it fits. Now the calipers catch my rim, as if the dish is to close to the caliper. Will fitting a normal wheel spacer sort this? Should I rather have the disc's i/d increased more to have a complete flush fit?

Hi,

I think I heard that the guys space the caliper with "washers" to create clearance. Can someone perhaps comment on this and specify how much the spacing need to be for a 15" rim?

Herman

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - Bugger - 03-07-2013 07:14 AM

Hi
Yes you need to space the caliper it is about 5mm thick spacer washers Syncromad sell the whole kit

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - Dirty Germ - 03-07-2013 10:42 AM

Dirty Germ Wrote:
benniebez Wrote:Ok, still too busy to phone Russel or the guys that know about this. Got the 15" calipers and bought ATE discs and pads. Now came the first hassle, the discs would not go over the hub's inner ring. Had the discs i/d increased by 1mm to fit, but didn't fit flush to the stub of the bus axle. Had them increased by 1mm again(total of 2mm now) and it fits. Now the calipers catch my rim, as if the dish is to close to the caliper. Will fitting a normal wheel spacer sort this? Should I rather have the disc's i/d increased more to have a complete flush fit?

Hi,

I think I heard that the guys space the caliper with "washers" to create clearance. Can someone perhaps comment on this and specify how much the spacing need to be for a 15" rim?

Herman

OK. Just spoke to someone else. The "spacers/washers" is only to align the centre of the caliper with the centre of the disc. The standard 15" rim from a 2.6 Kombi should fit perfectly.

Herman

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - benniebez - 03-09-2013 03:03 PM

The rim is solid against the calipers, replced the mag with a steel spare rim, same thing. Went back to my standard brakes, just needed the new pads for them. I got 9mm spacers to see if I can get the rim to clear. This has been a 3 week battle to get the upgraded brakes fitted and I'm g@tvol now, remember that I'm fairly handy with my hands, but this wasn't a easy learning curve.
Herewith some pics;

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - Russel - 03-10-2013 11:09 AM

Bennie can you please measure the discs that came off your van and let me know. Your van has/is not standard in a lot of ways so you
may just have the syncro 16 front uprights fitted. This will move the calliper slightly out on one side.
Russel

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - Bugger - 03-10-2013 08:35 PM

Hi What about your rims they dont look like VW parts allthough 15" the inner part may be smaller than the Reins and the other 5 star rims we fit It might be your problem

Re: 15" Brake Upgrade - benniebez - 03-12-2013 08:55 PM

Russel, sorry didn't measure the disc, the std. disc deffinatly smallerm there is a part of the old (& new) pads that goes off the pad (ie. pad seems to big), it is about 10mm that doesnt wear out on the top.