Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum
Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - Printable Version

+- Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum (http://syncrosa.co.za/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Brakes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion (/showthread.php?tid=280)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - axeman - 01-28-2013 10:18 PM

after 2 years of running my set up i can honestly say that this has to be one of the best mods that i have been involved with, they have been maintenance and trouble free, the wheels are locked with 3 clicks on the hand break under normal road usage and 4 if you are off road on a very steep incline, they have been well tested over the past couple of years in mud, sand, snow and icy conditions and have performed as well as i hoped they would. remember if you are considering converting to disks the one of most important things are the hand brake hable and protecting debris from entering the inner section if the cable, we used small bellows at each end of the outer cable for this.

neil

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - sarman - 01-28-2013 10:39 PM

In my case I notice an improvement in all conditions.

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - EcLiPsE - 03-16-2013 05:13 PM

The Boy's helping me to bleed the rear disk setup...[attachment=3]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - mickey - 03-19-2013 03:08 PM

I have just redone my fronts to 2.6 discs. why can I not use the old fronts to put at the rear?

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - EcLiPsE - 03-19-2013 03:22 PM

I think I've heard about it being done before.

I've just fitted the disks and callipers of a T4 Syncro....

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - deanace - 03-19-2013 06:10 PM

front calipers dont have a handbrake on them, thats why you have to use rear ones

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - EcLiPsE - 03-19-2013 06:18 PM

deanace Wrote:front calipers dont have a handbrake on them, thats why you have to use rear ones

But you can use the old front disks

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - mickey - 03-19-2013 07:53 PM

anybody ever consider a vito rear setup. it has the disc with the drum inside, and I think that the studs are the same, as merc fit vw, but not sure about the rest. just a thought, as I have a vito and the handbrake is serious.

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - Russel - 03-20-2013 09:06 AM

Using the vito setup will have its own problems. You would need to use the vito hub to do this so the syncro drive shafts will not fit' to mention but one.
And of course the price of vito parts is a bit extreme.
Russel

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Conversion - mickey - 03-20-2013 04:10 PM

thanks, I know squat about it so it was a "putting it out there" kinda question. will stick to drums for now, wait until the bank balance rebounds a bit.