Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Syncro Bus
05-24-2016, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 12:08 PM by Gerard W.)
My Syncro Bus
Following on from here http://syncrosa.co.za/forum/showthread.php?tid=2556 I like to have a thread about my vehicles where I keep it all together. It helps also if it is to be sold one day, the new buyer can see what he gets.

The problem with it dying was sorted out... faulty distributer. It almost runs nicely now, just needs a bit more fine tuning. I'm learning and have found the engine ( a 2.6) is a mismatch of bastard parts which I don't like. I like the 2.6 engine and will keep it if I can get it sorted.

First order of business is to source all the parts and put it back to original. That's the way I like it and you then know where you are.

In the mean time I've been working on it. Cut the middle bench to a two seater. Waiting for it to be re-upholstered and fitted my fridge on a floor frame. Still need to make a counter top over it.

Pictures

We've also made time to enjoy the bus

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2016, 12:56 PM
RE: My Syncro Bus
(05-24-2016 12:04 PM)Gerard W Wrote:  Following on from here http://syncrosa.co.za/forum/showthread.php?tid=2556 I like to have a thread about my vehicles where I keep it all together. It helps also if it is to be sold one day, the new buyer can see what he gets.

The problem with it dying was sorted out... faulty distributer. It almost runs nicely now, just needs a bit more fine tuning. I'm learning and have found the engine ( a 2.6) is a mismatch of bastard parts which I don't like. I like the 2.6 engine and will keep it if I can get it sorted.

First order of business is to source all the parts and put it back to original. That's the way I like it and you then know where you are.

In the mean time I've been working on it. Cut the middle bench to a two seater. Waiting for it to be re-upholstered and fitted my fridge on a floor frame. Still need to make a counter top over it.

Pictures

We've also made time to enjoy the bus

In the first pic just behind and in between the two fronts seats by the floor there seems to be what looks like a circular inspection panel or am I seeing things. What is that for?
05-24-2016, 12:59 PM
I've seen it, but did not look so no idea. Its about 6" in diameter.
05-24-2016, 04:26 PM
it is for the fuel tank send on a 2wd, so you can take it out with out removing the fuel tank

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2016, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 06:30 PM by 32wbx6.)
(05-24-2016 04:26 PM)syncromad Wrote:  it is for the fuel tank send on a 2wd, so you can take it out with out removing the fuel tank

Ok!!! Have wondered for years what that was for. Thanks Stuart!

(05-24-2016 06:29 PM)32wbx6 Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 04:26 PM)syncromad Wrote:  it is for the fuel tank send on a 2wd, so you can take it out with out removing the fuel tank

Ok!!! Have wondered for years what that was for. Thanks Stuart!

Thought it was an inspection hatch to see where my propshaft was vibrating while driving ??

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
05-25-2016, 09:30 AM
The fun and my woe's continue. The engine jerks when cruising and for the third time I drive through to Uitenhage for some fault finding and Spittronic tuning.

I come back and its worse. The fault shows a voltage spike from the distributer, but we don't know why.

Its an aftermarket one bought from Midas. Back to the drawing board and find an original one as that was the last change made.

(getting close to ripping it out and use as a dream catcher )
05-25-2016, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 10:24 AM by syncromad.)
Buy a genuine distributor, Aftermarket are all crap, think that will solve your problem, they are fine in an emergency to get your car home, but useless in the long run,

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2016, 10:31 AM
(05-25-2016 10:23 AM)syncromad Wrote:  Buy a genuine distributor, Aftermarket are all crap, think that will solve your problem, they are fine in an emergency to get your car home, but useless in the long run,

Agree. The day I bought it was an emergency. Bus finally died, we diagnosed distributer and I was stuck in Uitenhage. Got me home.
05-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Finally, I think I've got it. When we fitted the new distributer we did not use its cap, but the old one that was on the bus. They are different. That was the only remaining variable. Got home, changed caps and went for a drive.

Runs as smooth as silk. I'll be holding my breath for a while, but I do think that is it. Of the faults I had, there can't be anything else... lets hope Big Grin

Now I hope I can just enjoy. Its a nugget feeling to drive around in the bus, and to get nice comments from people wherever I go.
05-25-2016, 07:17 PM
My Syncro Bus
🚐