Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Namib Dunes in a VW Syncro
10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Re: Namib Dunes in a VW Syncro
Bugger Wrote:
PCB Wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know of a VW Syncro doing the Namib dunes - e.g. Luderitz to Walvis or Faces of the Namib?

They seem capable on sand but do they have the power for dunes? My folks have one with the 2l petrol golf engine conversion done vy Stuart. Its been lifted and has larger tyres than standard. We are keen for the syncro to join us on a trip in the dunes but want a heads up on whether thay are up to it. Its been kitted out extensively so carries quite a bit of weight above standard.

Thanks
Paul

I use to know some of the older guys with Syncros and the WBX6 motors and 2.5 WBX Oettinger motors was used to climb the hills with as it had the Torq but they had lots of Overheating problems with the WBX6 motors on the dunes but they could play for a while and then had to get the temps down before attempting next dune

But I still want to do it with a modified Golf 2L motor and I am going to

The Andreno 2.3 WBX makes at least 8hp more than the oettinger 2.5, I would love to do a trip like that one day with my bus

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Now some food for thought:
Most of you are using 15 rims and a lot are using 215 80 15 tires.
Now these tires are about { i am not going to work it out now} 20% bigger than wot the syncro was made with.
Now this will give you a much better foot print in sand but it will also eat a lot more torque to drive them on sand. This in turn will create a
lot more engine heat and use more fuel which in turn will find any weaknesses in your drive train and engine.
If using a standard 2.1 i would recommend 14 tires for sand, for all sand, dune driving i would recommend a decoupler and either a very aggressive VC or a solid shaft.
Its pointless having massive tires in sand if you dont have the power to drive them. Soft or fine sand is like driving with a dead wight attached to your van.
There are also so many different types of sand.
Russel
10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:If using a standard 2.1 i would recommend 14 tires for sand, for all sand, dune driving i would recommend a decoupler and either a very aggressive VC or a solid shaft.
Its pointless having massive tires in sand if you dont have the power to drive them. Soft or fine sand is like driving with a dead wight attached to your van.
There are also so many different types of sand.
Good point Russel, incidentally if you look way back in history one sees that the old round shape 2 wheel drive Combi, long before Syncros, crossed the Sahara Desert many, many times, i believe also on 14 inch fine tread sand tires. They didnt have big motors either and only 2 wheel drive! All about flotation, driver skill and I guess a lot of digging. I do realise that sand types differ across the Sahara too and they probably weren't looking for the dunes to play on but rather a good driving line through.

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
10-18-2012, 11:11 AM
There is a big difference between driving on sand and climbing monster dunes. I mentioned previously that we were at least one of the top 3 vehicles in the dunes at the national 4x4 forum GTG. But there was one very long dune that wasn't technical but just needed power. All the powerful vehicles made it up without issue and all the diesels and less powerful petrol engined vehicles didn't.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
In July 2001 a couple of guys from the Western Cape did the Lüderitz-Saddle Hill route. All of them had 15" wheels and, according to those who went on that trip, the Syncros fared much better than a group of Land-Rovers that did the same trip a week earlier. Apparently the trick was to use first and second (not G) and to keep your foot flat, running against the rev limiter.

According to Arno van Wyk (he of Andreno fame) hitting the bottom of the dune with the front is no big deal; you just need to aim beforehand, as the sand running up over the windscreen and over the roof can blind you for a while (as per Ian's Avatar of the Seikel Syncro). Personally I would be wary of damage to the body, but then Arno is a maverick!

I uplifted the attached photo from the SyncroSA group on Yahoo! years ago (could not find it on the forum now). My Syncro is the third one from the right (a couple of years before I bought it) - it sported a 2.0l Remtec engine at the time.

If you are a member of the SyncroSA group, you can contact Cordrà Smith (of Matroosberg: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.matroosberg.com">www.matroosberg.com</a><!-- w -->): he was part of that expedition.

Kobus

Attached File(s)
.jpg  nam6.jpg (Size: 36.03 KB / Downloads: 120)
10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
My 2.5 is booked in at Kosie Swanepoel on Wednesday to try and get it to perform better all round than my little Andreno 2.3.
10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Let us know how it turns out. Those guys know their stuff aparently.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-19-2012, 07:07 AM
ChrisMcD Wrote:My 2.5 is booked in at Kosie Swanepoel on Wednesday to try and get it to perform better all round than my little Andreno 2.3.

Trying to make a Oettinger better than Andreno?

02-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Namib Dunes in a VW Syncro
Hi Ian
How is the power now on that 2.5?