Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16" upgrade
10-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Re: 16" upgrade
please post up the pics in a new thread. id like to see how you did it !!

Welcome to the forum, this is definitely the right place to ask questions about big window buses and we got the best people Wink

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I'll get some pictures up soon !
Find all posts by this user
10-18-2011, 04:00 AM
16" upgrade
axeman Wrote:hello every one this is my first post on this form, here are some pictures of the rear disk conversion that i and ian (clever engineer) worked on (i got the parts from the scrap yard and he made them fit). this set up has been on my van for a 8 or 9 months now and has proven itself too me, if only for the hand break alone, 3 clicks on the hand break and the rear wheels are locked, the hand break was always a pain in the ass as i felt that it was never up too the job and i was regualy removing the old drums to clean out muddy silt etc not to menshion adjusting it regularly to try and maintain performance of the rear set up. they are now self adjusting and maintenance free.

disks and calipers first generation 1995-2000 vw sharan, ford galaxy, seat (cant rember the name of it) lucas type 34 caliper
hand break cable was made localy in the uk and exceeds ome spec (snap tested to 500kg)
the hubs needed to be turned down on a lathe to fit inside of the disk.
caliper carrier made by ian (he has stock if any one is intrested)

[Image: sharanfinal.jpg]

[Image: sharanfinal2.jpg]

[Image: sharanfinal1.jpg]

[Image: 2010-09-17124655.jpg]

thanks neil

Do you have any part numbers?

Dean, have you started selling a kit already? This setup sound pretty nice, don't you think?

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
11-18-2011, 05:00 AM
That looks like Golf 2 Back Caliper that was used and they are not very expensive either
12-19-2011, 11:24 PM
give me a day or so and i will find out the part no's for you, i am guessing that your looking for the disk, caliper, pad carrier, and pad no's? it would not surprise me if it the complete caliper was used on a range of vw's of the period.

neil
12-20-2011, 08:07 AM
16" upgrade
axeman Wrote:give me a day or so and i will find out the part no's for you, i am guessing that your looking for the disk, caliper, pad carrier, and pad no's? it would not surprise me if it the complete caliper was used on a range of vw's of the period.

neil

Would be nice, thanks Neil.

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
12-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I've read up quite a lot on rear disc conversions over the years on numerous forums and the general consensus is it's not worth the effort. I personally hate drum brakes because from an engineering point of view they are crude and unsophisticated. But they do work. I won't comment on the conversion in this thread because I don't know the specs but it is a misconception to think that any disc setup is better than any drum set up. The Syncro has huge drums at the back and you are mistaken in thinking that the tiny discs from the rear of most cars will come close to the stopping power of the Syncro drums. Let alone improve on them. If there is a conversion that uses discs and calipers from a vehicle of similar weight to a Syncro, and it's straight forward to fit and the price is reasonable, then that is great. But not something from a vehicle that weighs half the weight of a Syncro.
12-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Ian
I agree, i did a disc brake rear conversion to the swimcro, i must say it did brake and stop better but the hand brake was not as good as the drums, cost a lot for very little gain. ok we did develop it ourselves but that was a while ago and it cost me over R 4500 then to do.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
12-20-2011, 04:08 PM
ian Wrote:. The Syncro has huge drums at the back and you are mistaken in thinking that the tiny discs from the rear of most cars will come close to the stopping power of the Syncro drums. Let alone improve on them. If there is a conversion that uses discs and calipers from a vehicle of similar weight to a Syncro, and it's straight forward to fit and the price is reasonable, then that is great. But not something from a vehicle that weighs half the weight of a Syncro.

the vw sharan that these disks and calipers are from has i kerb weight of 1820kg which falls in to the weight catogory of our vans in standard form, of course a fully loaded camper with all the trimmings is going to weigh a lot more, i cant comment on the cost as i have no idea of the cost of parts in sa, but i i do know the in the uk if your backing plates are fubard (which is common due to our climate) and you need to replace your drums, shoes and cylinders (a complete rear break overhall) this kit will work out cheaper.
other positives to disk conversions from my experience

self adjusting
far improved hand break
never needing to clean out the drums (would have thought this would be very relevant in desert/sandy conditions)
easy maintenance (replacing the disks and pads)
and i believe the breaks are improved as i result
12-20-2011, 06:04 PM
As I said my comments were general and not directed at this conversion in particular. Sharan rear discs should do the job. Although with the weight of the engine in the rear of the T3 the brake bias to the rear is more than it would be on a front engined vehicle of similar weight.