Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Isuzu 2.5/2.8 Turbo Diesel
09-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Isuzu 2.5/2.8 Turbo Diesel
Anyone with experience and or know about a conversion on the syncro?

The sump looks fairly small and does not stick out too much, it is mechanical injection and weigh about 160kg.

Makes about 76kw and 330nm torque.(i know this is about 100nm more than what you need on the gearbox)

Isuzu 2.5 and 2.8's are well known for more than reasonable fuel consumption and plenty torque on low rpm...

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Re: Isuzu 2.5/2.8 Turbo Diesel
gearing on a vehicle and weight make for fuel consumption, not the motor it's self

eg: the AHF 1.9 Tdi in a golf or jetta will give easily 20 km/litre, and in a syncro it give 8 to 10km/litre, also in a golf it will do 200km/h and in a syncro 130.

so that is no way to compare.

My 2c worth

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2013, 04:07 PM
@Eclipse, thought youre torque rating was too high, went on to google and found it to be 210nm, sounds low and think za spec was around 215-220nm. Weight said to be 230kg and Max revs to be 4200rpm. Go have a look here

The good rev range for the older turbo diesels to 2500-3150rpm. It will limit the Syncro topspeed to 80kmh for keeping the revs upto and Under 3000rpm. But I think it should be a awesum engine, better than the 2ct Toyota engines conversions and should give you upto 10km/l.

BENNIE BEZUIDENHOUT
"Be slow in choosing a friend, even slower when changing" Benjamin Franklin
09-25-2013, 08:42 PM
benniebez Wrote:@Eclipse, thought youre torque rating was too high, went on to google and found it to be 210nm, sounds low and think za spec was around 215-220nm. Weight said to be 230kg and Max revs to be 4200rpm. Go have a look here

The good rev range for the older turbo diesels to 2500-3150rpm. It will limit the Syncro topspeed to 80kmh for keeping the revs upto and Under 3000rpm. But I think it should be a awesum engine, better than the 2ct Toyota engines conversions and should give you upto 10km/l.

Thanks Stuart.

Benniebez, thanks for your input, torque/power should still be more than enough.

Weight could be a major change, how does the Isuzu compare to 1.9tdi and original WBX?

Im never driving at 4000rpm, I mainly cruise at 3000rpm so fitting a diesel on the standard ratios would not handicap me in that case.

09-26-2013, 07:19 AM
I rebuilt a 2.8 for a friend of mine about 11 years ago and the main thing that sticks in my head about that engine is: it is
big and heavy.
Russel
05-18-2015, 04:56 PM
RE: Isuzu 2.5/2.8 Turbo Diesel
Thanks Russel
I believe you thought after your comment ive changed my mind ;-)

I've called and had numerous conversations with many different people about these conversions.

Im on and off, thinking about what to do one day on my Syncro....

Im currently seriously considering taking out my wife's 2wd Microbus Golf 2.0 motor and fit the 2.5 Isuzu engine, if I get a nice one....

Im still thinking about doing it to the Syncro but with the 2.8 TD

I've not been able to google anything of this nature....seems like ill have to try and be the test pig ;-)

05-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Is there any way of getting around the low ratios? Is there a way to covert a final drive ratio for some longer legs?

My name is RĂ©hann and I am a Volksie fan! Cool
05-21-2015, 03:02 PM
yip, but expensive, about R20k for longer ratio crown wheel and pinion sets, need front and rear set vhtf

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user