Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Squeaky front suspension
12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Squeaky front suspension
My front suspension became noisy. "Upper control arm bushes" the man said so I had them replaced and now its even squeakier. So it's back to the workshop but all they can suggest is to replace the bushes with a set from a different manufacturer. I'm not convinced. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Colin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2014, 09:16 PM
RE: Squeaky front suspension
Make sure they tighten the camber nut and bolt when the Kombi is on its
wheels otherwise there is a permanent load on the bushes.
Russel
12-18-2014, 06:54 AM
some of the cheap bushes do squeak, even when new

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2014, 07:00 AM
What nut is the camber nut? I tried some W├╝rth hhs2000 it muted the squeek for about 2months but the squeek is making itself heard again

Daryl

1989 2.1 SYNCRO
2011 CB1000R

Stuart said "They say in "Namibia" the only problem with a syncro is when it does get stuck nothing else can get there to tow it out"

SYNCROnized OFF-Roading
12-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Squeaky front suspension
Is it good to spray rubbers with penetrating oil? Wont it damage rubbers?
Ive heard about someone that uses brake-fluid but im also worried about that...
My Syncro suspension is also squeaky after a trip where we did a lot of water crossings...

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
12-19-2014, 09:46 AM
I used a silicone spray. Works like a dream.

It's not just a 4x4, it's a Syncro........
12-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the help gents. The second set of bushes (I asked for better quality ones Stuart) and Russel's tip seem to have cured 95% of the problem, it still squeaks a bit if I hit a bump whilst turning right but I can live with that. Just hoping it stays that way, if it gets bad again while I'm away over the holiday I'll try Enkies's silicone spray trick.

Colin
12-26-2014, 05:52 PM
(12-20-2014 05:47 PM)Oberon Wrote:  Thanks for the help gents. The second set of bushes (I asked for better quality ones Stuart) and Russel's tip seem to have cured 95% of the problem, it still squeaks a bit if I hit a bump whilst turning right but I can live with that. Just hoping it stays that way, if it gets bad again while I'm away over the holiday I'll try Enkies's silicone spray trick.

Colin

Hi Colin,
If the guys who fitted the new bushes never greased up the control arm shaft, it may be that that's still squeaking! Another item I found was causing a squeak after servicing the bushes, was the strut arm bar washers. They were touching on the edge of the housing when ever I turned or the went through an undulation in the road. These are easy to fix just remove the nut and washer, grind away about 5mm of the washer where it touches and return to the same position as before! I think once the bushes etc get old they get worn and have more play!
If you need a pic I'll send you one, maybe check first to see if they are touching!
Thanx Rob.
01-04-2015, 06:23 AM
Well, the new bushes stayed quiet-ish for about 3 days but now are almost as bad as ever. I've done a 1200km round trip to Sedgefield in the meantime with a good few hours of Knysna forest roads included so the suspension has had plenty of exercise. Rob's washers look in good shape unfortunately (new last year) and I tried Enkie's silicone spray without success but thanks for the tips guys.

The squeaking is worse when making a right turn and becomes inaudible above 60km/hr. I think it disappears then, ie it's not simply getting lost in the increased road noise.

So now what? I haven't asked but the bushes I have now are almost certainly after-market so would yet another change to genuine VW ones cure it perhaps?

Thanks
Colin
01-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Squeaky front suspension
I have a solution
Sell your bus to me.... Ill be happy to take over the "squeaks" ;-)

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!