Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Starter Motor Woes
01-31-2015, 12:54 AM
Starter Motor Woes
In late 2012, my starter motor started giving trouble. I suspected the bendix and went and bought a new one. Fitting it was a bit of a challenge, but that had hardly been in a month when the solenoid packed up. I bought a new Bosch solenoid and fitted that and thought my starter was sorted for at least a few years.

Alas that was not to be and one night in early December 2014 I became aware that the starter was not disengaging. Fortunately this happened at home. Being a weekend, I was unable to source another Bosch and went to an after-market parts supplier. They sold me a Monarch Diesel solenoid. It comes in a yellow and red box similar to the Bosch version. I took out the starter, fitted the Monarch Diesel solenoid and initially all seemed well. However a few starts later, the starter began to drag to such an extent, I thought my battery - a 4 year old Willard - was shot. I went down to Tiger Wheel and Tyre and bought an Atlas BX battery - my preferred brand of battery at the moment, as they look decent and come with a two year guarantee.

The battery didn't resolve the problem and the starter would start normally about three times out of ten and drag the other seven times. This past week it got even worse where current would seemingly come and go creating some really peculiar sounds. After checking earth cables and making sure all the connections were sound, I came to the conclusion that the new Monarch Diesel solenoid was most likely faulty, something I had not previously considered.

Three days ago I bought a new Bosch solenoid from Diesel Electric (R325) and fitted it two days ago after taking the starter out yet again. The Bosch solenoid has been working flawlessly so far.

Of course I am going to return the Monarch Diesel solenoid. Whether I get my money back is debatable, but we'll see.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2015, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 11:03 AM by BHM.)
RE: Starter Motor Woes
Spend the money and fit a golf high torque starter. I have them on both my busses and haven't had one day of trouble with starting. If I don't sell my Bay window kombi, I'm putting one on there as well this year. To me it's not worth the hassle to try and fix a starter that's 20+ years old. It will let you down again when you don't want it to happen. My 2c.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
01-31-2015, 04:33 PM
I upgraded to this Bosch TDI Golf starter that Russel organised for me with an adapter plate, I had a problem later with my dizzy rotor and turned over once too many times and burned out this brand new starter.
I was surprised how little it took to burn the thing out.
I couldn't find a Bosch replacement at the time so went with a Goldwagen "WAG" Golf 5 rip off starter and I can't tell the difference.
I'll buy a Bosch as a back up for my next trip.
But such a mission, I feel your pain.

(01-31-2015 10:55 AM)BHM Wrote:  Spend the money and fit a golf high torque starter. I have them on both my busses and haven't had one day of trouble with starting. If I don't sell my Bay window kombi, I'm putting one on there as well this year. To me it's not worth the hassle to try and fix a starter that's 20+ years old. It will let you down again when you don't want it to happen. My 2c.

Caravelle Syncro 2.3 Andreno 1990
Caravelle Syncro 2.1 Stock Standard
Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Ok, so I got a full refund on the Monarch Diesel solenoid and haven't had any issues since.

The Golf high torque starter of which you speak - what model Golf does it come off? Is it a straight swop?
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
nico, these conversion starters are for a 2.1i or golf conversion, not 5cyl

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
12-16-2015, 09:14 AM
I want to replace my starter motor. Where do I go and what do I ask for?

I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain
Where the streets have no name
12-16-2015, 05:37 PM
come to us, i will help you,

12-17-2015, 09:51 AM
(12-16-2015 05:37 PM)syncromad Wrote:  come to us, i will help you,
I'll have to see what I can arrange. The starter is currently not installed. Syncro in storage in Middelburg and I'm stuck in Saudi Arabia until April.

I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain
Where the streets have no name
12-17-2015, 11:57 AM
ok, no hassle, give us a shout when you are back

12-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Do you use an adapter for the hi torque starters because everything Ive looked at will never line up with the bolt holes on the bell, the one hole is slightly off center to
the standard 2.1 starters?