Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VW - Volkswagen Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual: 1980-1991  - Repair Manuals
02-28-2015, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 11:25 AM by johanhorak.)
VW - Volkswagen Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual: 1980-1991  - Repair Manuals
Hi

I came across this manual and consider buying it but am not sure if this will solve my issue...

[URL] http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswa...anual.html [/URL]

I am new to the Syncro world. I know how to use a hammer, wire, duct tape and pliers. Fixing cars never interested me Dodgy

I bought a serviced syncro from Arno and I never expected a new vehicle. It's in *good condition* and I like my syncro.

It's obvious that being a mechanic seems to be a great advantage or someone with a nack for tools - when driving a syncro.

The other day driving the refs hit the roof. Guys stopped and said the petrol cable just below the pedal on the outside of the body was not tight enough and slipped. Simple enough problem to solve with them around. I suppose I could have figured it out if they did not pitch - if I had the right tools on hand.

My electric window meganisme broke and need replacing.

Not a train smash. But not very convenient somewhere on a deserted gravel road.

Reliability seems to be an issue.

It looks like I need to gear myself for some tool training, getting a manual, getting some basic tools or walk away from the syncro.

I may be too pessimistic today or is my syncro a project to optimistic for my skills?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2015, 01:26 PM
RE: VW - Volkswagen Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual: 1980-1991  - Repair Manuals
hi Johan

you need to remember you are driving a 25 year old vehicle, tools are always needed, as are a small get me home spares box.

they are as reliable as any 25 year old off road vehicle is, a good basic mechanical course will always be an advantage, especially if they have fault finding covered in it.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
02-28-2015, 04:28 PM
RE: VW - Volkswagen Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual: 1980-1991  - Repair Manuals
(02-28-2015 01:26 PM)syncromad Wrote:  hi Johan

you need to remember you are driving a 25 year old vehicle, tools are always needed, as are a small get me home spares box.

they are as reliable as any 25 year old off road vehicle is, a good basic mechanical course will always be an advantage, especially if they have fault finding covered in it.

stuart

Hi Stuart

Excellent advice. I appreciate it.

I either need to do what you suggest or give up. And I don’t easily give up.

From your advice, the next steps would be.

1) finding such a basic mechanical fault finding course in Cape Town.
2) putting together a good tool box to handle general issues.
3) create a list and get the box of get-me-home-spares.

Stuart I can you suggest a list of things to get? Or is there such lists available.

I can come and visit and get some of these things from you?

And you being an expert ;-) You don't have such a course in mind? Smile

Thanks again. Big Grin

And have a great weekend

Johan
02-28-2015, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 06:02 PM by BosBus.)
A good old "Leatherman" multi tool has save me from being stranded on many occasions. O ya, also some "borrowed" fence wire from the local farmer and a bit of the old "boer maak 'n plan" mentality.........SmileSmile

As Stuart says, always carry "get me home spares" with you.

This should at the minimum be:

Basic tool kit - spanners, screwdrivers, hammer (persuading tool), electrical multi meter etc.
Basic spares - spare fan belts, globes, fuses, roll of electrical wire & connectors, relays, insulation tape, silicone sealant tape (good for fixing water pipes and electrical cables), definitely a roll of duct tape (good for a lot of emergency repairs), silicone sealer, pratley steel fix, -putty, -epoxy glue, tyre repair kit, tyre weld, spare gear and motor oil, rags, a bottle of premixed dishwashing liquid/water (for cleaning yourself), jumper cables, warning triangles, a small 2t trolley jack (nice to have), tow rope, small roll of baling wire, small container with some M6, M8, M10 full thread bolts of various lengths, washers & nuts etc.

This is the basics I have in my Syncro that stays under the back seat at all times. This is definitely not the "be all & end all" and I am sure the forum members can think of something else that I might have missed.

Remember to fit a FIRE EXTINGUISHER in your vehicle, I would say it is a must for any vehicle anyhow. They are cheap and small enough to save you a lot of heart ache.

As Stuart says, these "old ladies" are 25 years old, but if well maintained, hardly leave you on the side of the road ( unless something unforeseen and serious happens), and with basic mechanical knowledge you should be able to help yourself in an emergency. Having a workshop manual handy is always a PLUS. The manual you are referring to is a bit pricey but it looks very comprehensive. Don't know what engine you have in your Syncro but it should cover everything else.

Hope I haven't scared you off.....Happy Syncroing!!!

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
1989 Syncro Caravelle 2.1 - BosBus
1998 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport - PlatKar
02-28-2015, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 07:33 PM by johanhorak.)
Hi BosBus

Ha ha. No you have not scared me. I am a lot happier now than this morning when I asked for advice. I am very impressed and relieved by your and Stuart's assistance..

You are very kind. Thanks for taking all this time to share such a comprehensive list for me and others like me. It's appreciated.

This makes feel a lot more positive about my naive syncro buy. Cool

I will immediately start putting this together.

My list is getting shorter Smile

1) list of tools - above
2) get me home spares - above
3) fire extinguisher
4) manual
5) basic mechanical and fault finding course.

I have *new* Andreno engine. I bought it October 2014 and have never really used it yet.

I am planning a long trip now but confidence was running low until now.

Thanks again for caring Big Grin

(02-28-2015 05:15 PM)BosBus Wrote:  A good old "Leatherman" multi tool has save me from being stranded on many occasions. O ya, also some "borrowed" fence wire from the local farmer and a bit of the old "boer maak 'n plan" mentality.........SmileSmile

As Stuart says, always carry "get me home spares" with you.

This should at the minimum be:

Basic tool kit - spanners, screwdrivers, hammer (persuading tool), electrical multi meter etc.
Basic spares - spare fan belts, globes, fuses, roll of electrical wire & connectors, relays, insulation tape, silicone sealant tape (good for fixing water pipes and electrical cables), definitely a roll of duct tape (good for a lot of emergency repairs), silicone sealer, pratley steel fix, -putty, -epoxy glue, tyre repair kit, tyre weld, spare gear and motor oil, rags, a bottle of premixed dishwashing liquid/water (for cleaning yourself), jumper cables, warning triangles, a small 2t trolley jack (nice to have), tow rope, small roll of baling wire, small container with some M6, M8, M10 full thread bolts of various lengths, washers & nuts etc.

This is the basics I have in my Syncro that stays under the back seat at all times. This is definitely not the "be all & end all" and I am sure the forum members can think of something else that I might have missed.

Remember to fit a FIRE EXTINGUISHER in your vehicle, I would say it is a must for any vehicle anyhow. They are cheap and small enough to save you a lot of heart ache.

As Stuart says, these "old ladies" are 25 years old, but if well maintained, hardly leave you on the side of the road ( unless something unforeseen and serious happens), and with basic mechanical knowledge you should be able to help yourself in an emergency. Having a workshop manual handy is always a PLUS. The manual you are referring to is a bit pricey but it looks very comprehensive. Don't know what engine you have in your Syncro but it should cover everything else.

Hope I haven't scared you off.....Happy Syncroing!!!
03-01-2015, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 11:52 PM by BosBus.)
No problem Johan,

Glad I can be of assistance. I just remembered something else - "cable ties", not only handy inside the Syncro but has a variety of uses other than tying cables together. The "Andreno" should be strong enough as I have only seen good reviews on them so far.

Syncro's are a pleasure on a long distance trip. The ample space inside that allows you to move around is so much better than most modern 4x4's. You can stretch your legs without really having to stopBig GrinBig Grin provided someone is holding the steering wheel while you are in motion and taking a walk behind the front seatsWinkWink

Enjoy the long trip and don't forget to post a trip report.

Frans Joubert
Aka BosBus

"Allways respect your environment, leave only your tracks and take only your memories"
03-02-2015, 08:47 AM
(03-01-2015 11:37 PM)BosBus Wrote:  No problem Johan,

Glad I can be of assistance. I just remembered something else - "cable ties", not only handy inside the Syncro but has a variety of uses other than tying cables together. The "Andreno" should be strong enough as I have only seen good reviews on them so far.

Syncro's are a pleasure on a long distance trip. The ample space inside that allows you to move around is so much better than most modern 4x4's. You can stretch your legs without really having to stopBig GrinBig Grin provided someone is holding the steering wheel while you are in motion and taking a walk behind the front seatsWinkWink

Enjoy the long trip and don't forget to post a trip report.

Frans Joubert
Aka BosBus

Hi Frans

Gawe Syncro maat Smile

Walking in my Syncro. ha ha. Yes.

I will add the cable ties. Just as important as duct tape Smile

We are planning a relative slow trip to Zastron in the Southern Freestate.

We have not figured out an off the beaten track route but will start this week. It's a competition with my wife. We planned two routes and then try marrying the ideas. Not easy but exciting.

Any ideas welcome on places detours passes.

My wife was born in Zastron but we are going there to fetch an Italian Greyhound she ordered.

They could have sent the dog but we saw it as an excuse to take the bus.

We will sleep in it wherever we can. Or stay over where they are pet friendly Smile

Taking the bus is part of the adventure. If we get a *flat wheel* we will stop and fix it. Moering the problem with a wheel spanner will not help.

I will share plans and photos when we are on the road planned for end April 2015.

Have fun and thanks for the support.

Regards

Johan Horak
03-02-2015, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 01:56 PM by BosBus.)
Hi Johan,

Great idea to fetch the dog with the Syncro, I am sure it will love it just as much as you and the wife will. My 60kg Neopolitan Mastiff female loves going for a ride in the "BosBus" and I think she enjoys it even more than being taken for a walk .Dodgy Her name is "Puttanesca", Italian, meaning "Lady of the Night" Rolleyes Only problem is cleaning up the "slobber" afterwards. Big GrinBig Grin

I have removed the middle seat in my bus and that provides ample space for my 60L fridge freezer, and all my camping equipment. I also run a dual battery system and use it as an alternative supply for "Eskom load shedding" to supply lighting in my house running a long "flex wire" lead from the installed electrical power points in the bus and utilizing my LED camping lights.

Enjoy the trip, take it slow and remember, the holiday starts the moment you get into your Syncro. Safe driving, don't hog the bus and give the wife a chance to experience the feeling of being "free" behind the wheel. Just a suggestion, why don't you take the wife's suggested route there and your route back. That way you can experience both. Unfortunately I have never been to Zastron so cannot give you any info for the trip.

Regards,
Frans BosBus

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-02-2015, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 02:23 PM by johanhorak.)
(03-02-2015 01:49 PM)BosBus Wrote:  Hi Johan,

Great idea to fetch the dog with the Syncro, I am sure it will love it just as much as you and the wife will. My 60kg Neopolitan Mastiff female loves going for a ride in the "BosBus" and I think she enjoys it even more than being taken for a walk .Dodgy Her name is "Puttanesca", Italian, meaning "Lady of the Night" Rolleyes Only problem is cleaning up the "slobber" afterwards. Big GrinBig Grin

I have removed the middle seat in my bus and that provides ample space for my 60L fridge freezer, and all my camping equipment. I also run a dual battery system and use it as an alternative supply for "Eskom load shedding" to supply lighting in my house running a long "flex wire" lead from the installed electrical power points in the bus and utilizing my LED camping lights.

Enjoy the trip, take it slow and remember, the holiday starts the moment you get into your Syncro. Safe driving, don't hog the bus and give the wife a chance to experience the feeling of being "free" behind the wheel. Just a suggestion, why don't you take the wife's suggested route there and your route back. That way you can experience both. Unfortunately I have never been to Zastron so cannot give you any info for the trip.

Regards,
Frans BosBus

You should become a marriage counselor; wife driving and doing her route. Ha ha. Love it.

I also have an extra battery when they pull the power. Works like a dream.

You have a serious dog. Goodness. Gracious. Me. Smile

We have another Italian Greyhound, and a killer chiwawa. Now for the third.

The current dogs like me and tend to *ignore* Elmarie; the real reason why we are going to Zastron to fetch HER dog.

The straight and boring road is just more than a 1000 ks to the border of Lesotho http://goo.gl/maps/hC7jg

Looking at this guys mountain passes it may take us way too long to get there http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co....ermap.html But I will pick a few on my route http://screencast.com/t/YTKVzsgYJw and let Elmarie bring us home
03-02-2015, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 08:01 PM by syncromad.)
Hi Johan

For the fault finding course, try some of the technical colleges near you. They used to do these sort of thing. Not sure if they still do. They cover the basics. Usually an evening course.

As for spares:
For the 2.1/2.3
water pump
fan belts
53 relay.
Fuel pump
bosch volage regulator
Oil filter and oil
plugs
Ignition switch
Accel cable
brake fluid and ps fluid(atf)