Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery charging question(solar)
04-22-2015, 08:20 AM
I have a thing I cannot work out in my own knowledge

I have 50w panel charging a 105ah deepcycle
This keeps some 12v downlights, Radio & a couple of other 12v devices running as needed.
We never drain the 105ah and is frequently fully charged during early morning hours already.....meaning, I can charge a second or third battery during the day.

What I have in mind is:
My Syncro is parked fir weeks, sometimes moths without using it...
To keep the battery topped up, can I connect the battery to my solar system?

Im trying to completely go off-grid so 220v charger is not a option

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2015, 08:41 AM
RE: Battery charging question(solar)
Izan, it should work, but I would use something like the CTek250DS or similar that reduces the charge as the battery gets full to prevent the battery from getting a big charge current for those long periods. I have an intelligent chargers I connect to my batteries when the vehicles stand and have not had any hassles with the batteries, cranking or aux.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
04-22-2015, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2015 09:05 AM by Bruce.)
I don't have an answer to your question but can second BHM on CteK.
I have four of their chargers and about 12 Lead Crystal 12volts from Deltec.
Check them out as a professional battery and charger supplier http://www.deltecpower.co.za/
Each battery has a CteK " comfort indicator " on it - which is very handy - 3 LED's - Red Orange and Green which tell you constantly the charge level of your battery.
The reality is that once your battery has gone below 12 Volts it will never be the same again.
Full charge is around 13 or 14 Volts is a green light and then at around 12.5 Volts it goes orange and you know it is time to charge.
With that kind of care your batteries can last years and years.

Caravelle Syncro 2.3 Andreno 1990
Caravelle Syncro 2.1 Stock Standard
Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Keeping your batteries charged with a solar charger will certainly extend their lives.
Get a good controller though. I recently cooked one because it got wet and replaced it with a real "al cheapo" which doesn't seem to get the batteries quite where they should be. Having said that, most controllers in the range R200 to R500 do the job, but you can spend R1200 on a 10A controller with nice LCD display and all the bells and whistles.
E.

It's not just a 4x4, it's a Syncro........
04-22-2015, 01:06 PM
try dako.co.za or sustainable.co.za

Reg

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.......in comfort in a syncro!!!
04-23-2015, 01:14 PM
or check out bush power
they sell a kits for exactly this purpose
panel, regulator and cabling for around 800 zar
Reg

04-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks
Ill check these websites
The case gets interesting with another question.
What if I want to connect both by Busses at the same time.....having a dc-dc charger ons each would make it an expensive exercise

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
04-23-2015, 01:33 PM
DC to DC chargers are usually only used if you are charging deep cycle batteries while driving.
The reason for this is that the DC-DC charger increases the voltage and amperage to the deep cycles to get them charged properly in a dual battery set up.
If your two vehicles are standing and you only want to maintain the main battery a lower longer voltage is much better ie a solar panel and regulator
Usually solar regulators are set to charge no more than a normal alternator does (usually 14.2 volt) to keep the batteries from being over charged and loose too much fluid during charging
Some regulators can be adjusted to charge higher but most are not
A decent DC-DC charger will cost you a few K as there is only one really good make worth buying
So in my opinion i would not use a DC-DC charger to maintain the vehicle batteries
Also remember that if you increase the charge rate the batteries will give off gasses and this will be released into the vehicle and will settle everywhere and start corrosion inside the vehicle and damage non metal parts
So a slow low charge is beneficial for many reasons
Just M2CW
Reg