Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help - lost power to temp and fuel gauge
05-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Help - lost power to temp and fuel gauge
Hi all,

I need some help. I was fiddling behind the dash (always a bad idea...) and now there is no power to the temperature and fuel gauges. I suspected a blown fuse or a disconnected wire but can't find evidence of either (although I have not removed the instrument cluster yet. I'm sure it is something simple, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2016, 09:21 AM
RE: Help - lost power to temp and fuel gauge
the 10 volt regulator may be loose, , a small black box with 3 pins and a screw to hold it down,

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks very much, Stuart. Will give it a try.

05-16-2016, 08:01 PM
OK, so my problem is still not sorted. To recap, I don't seem to have any power to the instrument cluster - no lights, no temp and fuel gauge, no rev counter. Only the speedo and (bizarrely) the handbrake and rear window heater lights work. So I thought I would ask some advice with the aid of a photo:

So I checked what I think is the 10V regulator (A) - not loose and all seems OK.

What I did find that the original connection from the blue foil flexi circuit (B) was hanging loose. I am assuming it was supposed to be attached to the back of the cluster at ©, but it looks like this has been replaced with a McGyver brown wire from © to (F), so I have left it off.

I also found wire (D) hanging loose. This is coming off the lower terminal on the rev counter at (E). It looks like it used to connect to © (power source?) so I put it back there but nothing happened.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I'm sure I am being dof about this. Where does the cluster get its power from anyway?

Nick

05-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Nick those blue flexi circuits are notoriously poor quality. Some previous owner has obviously tried to make a repair with those wires because of a failure in part of the flexi circuit. Check that there is no damage on the circuit where the main connector attaches. I eventually bypassed this connector and soldered new wires directly into the circuit.

Ian
05-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Hi Ian. Which is the main connector? I think that is my main problem - I think that I disconnected the power supply that feeds the blue circuit. Where does this supply attach and where does it come from.

05-17-2016, 10:37 PM
The main connector is the one that connects to the circuit board where I've circled it in green. Often the circuit is damaged here and this is the usual cause for problems in the cluster. Check out this area carefully.

It was a long time ago that I did mine and it took me a while to work out what each wire and circuit was, so I might not give you the correct info here. From what I remember each wire is a feed from a particular sensor. Most of the feeds are negative although some are positive. Then there will be a common earth and a common positive.

Do you have a Bentley manual or a wiring diagram? I think you are going to need it!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Thanks, Ian. That is exactly the advice I needed. I WAS being dof - the main adapter plug came off. Instruments now working. Still no dash lights, but for that issue I will buy a workshop manual and tackle it when I have the time.

Now does anyone have a tip on how to get the squared end of the speedo cable to locate properly?