Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Microwave oven
04-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Microwave oven
I'm going to spend a couple of days at Afrika Burn and I'm thinking about cooking with a microwave oven instead of my mini Weber. There's no mains power available there but I already have 2 X 64Ah batteries plus a 55Ah spare and an 800W microwave left over from my kid's student flat. So I'd just need the inverter. I crunched a few numbers and it seems it might work if I idle the engine during the 30 minutes or less cooking time.

Does anybody have any experience of doing this?

Cheers
Colin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2017, 12:30 AM
RE: Microwave oven
Wouldn't a lekker fire just be easier?!

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
04-12-2017, 07:57 AM
You are better off just buying a 12V microwave. The only thing to do is to make up beefy cabling.
04-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Nick
I took a mini Weber last year but the wind was so strong it scattered embers which burned holes in my groundsheet and a neighbouring tent.

Camperholic.
Why would a 12v microwave be an advantage? Do you have one?
04-14-2017, 12:36 PM
So I did some Googling and found quite a bit of useful info on campervan and caravan websites. The consensuses seem to be:

1. 12v microwaves are a complete waste of money, users found they took MUCH longer than expected to cook anything. They need wiring the size of jump leads. There were about 5 or 6 on the market a few years ago but almost all have been discontinued. One manufacturer offers a 24v one intended for use in trucks.
2. Running the engine whilst microwaving would help get the supper done but isn't a complete solution. One guy who tried this found he still needed to charge his 2 batteries afterwards.
3. Some RV's (and boats) use 220v microwaves on inverters at sites where there is no mains power available, however most of these have space for enormous battery banks of over 400Ah. Not practical in the bus.

Final clincher. I would need a very expensive 2000W pure sine wave inverter. I can buy enough bottled gas for the weekend for 50 bucks.

Cheers
Colin
04-15-2017, 04:47 PM
gas stove with a wind shield.......

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user