Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone in CT with a spring compressor?
05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Anyone in CT with a spring compressor?
Hi all,

I am hoping to do a suspension lift this weekend. Does anyone in CT have a heavy duty spring compressor that I can borrow?

Thanks,
Nick

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2017, 02:33 PM
RE: Anyone in CT with a spring compressor?
When I could not find one I used ratchet straps. Just get your face out the way when you release it.
05-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Sounds dangerous!

05-17-2017, 07:02 PM
+ 1 on the ratchet strap being dangerous. Is it really worth the risk saving a few bux. I would buy a decent spring compressor, maybe a even organize a group buy for one and let it do the rounds amongst the Syncronauts.
05-18-2017, 10:10 AM
On our bikes rear shock its not dangerous. When you assemble you take up the preload tension with the adjuster screw and relieve the pressure on the straps. Undo them and then readjust the preload tension on the shock.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Nick I have always done that job without a spring compressor and just using a decent garage jack under the suspension arm. Works without any problems.

How are you lifting the ride height?

Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-23-2017, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 12:17 AM by nickgraham.)
So I ended up just buying one from Midas - R450 for the 'heavy duty' one. It does not look very heavy duty to me, but at least it was better than the R215 one that wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

Anyway, it did the job, after MUCH effort and struggling. Following Camperholic's suggestion, it is now available to any other members that need it.

Ian, I fitted the taxi springs in the front. They are not that much different from the original front springs - 20mm taller and 2mm thicker diameter. I also painted them white because I liked the look of the GoWesty springs. At the back I have just used spacers.

Ian, I'd love to know how you do that job without a spring compressor. Firstly, I needed it to get the spring in. Do you undo the lower radius rod to do this? Secondly, my bus is not heavy enough to compress the spring sufficiently to get the top of the shock through the hole just using a jack, so I needed the compressor for this as well. If there is an easier way I would love to know. Took me 3 evenings to complete this job Angry

05-23-2017, 01:30 PM
(05-23-2017 09:57 AM)nickgraham Wrote:  So I ended up just buying one from Midas - R450 for the 'heavy duty' one. It does not look very heavy duty to me, but at least it was better than the R215 one that wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

Anyway, it did the job, after MUCH effort and struggling. Following Camperholic's suggestion, it is now available to any other members that need it.

Ian, I fitted the taxi springs in the front. They are not that much different from the original front springs - 20mm taller and 2mm thicker diameter. I also painted them white because I liked the look of the GoWesty springs. At the back I have just used spacers.

Ian, I'd love to know how you do that job without a spring compressor. Firstly, I needed it to get the spring in. Do you undo the lower tie rod to do this? Secondly, my bus is not heavy enough to compress the spring sufficiently to get the top of the shock through the hole just using a jack, so I needed the compressor for this as well. If there is an easier way I would love to know. Took me 3 evenings to complete this job Angry

At least it is now done. I all ways look at it if I buy the tool myself versus having some one do it I would be paying the same amount only this way you have aquired a usefull tool.