Poll: Should public have access to our forum ?
Yes
No
Yes, but limited
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Attention all Members: Board Privacy
09-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I received an email today saying that our site is no good as members need to log in each time to read the board
This email came from a member
Should we open the board to the public as it was before or keep it closed for members only ?

I feel that if you are not prepared to even log in then you have no intentions of posting and will not contribute
So my personal opinion is to keep it closed

I would like to hear your views and opinions

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Re: Attention all Members: Board Privacy
deanace Wrote:I received an email today saying that our site is no good as members need to log in each time to read the board
This email came from a member
Should we open the board to the public as it was before or keep it closed for members only ?

I feel that if you are not prepared to even log in then you have no intentions of posting and will not contribute
So my personal opinion is to keep it closed

I would like to hear your views and opinions

Without posting = community dies = Im with dean, log in to view forum

Syncro SA
09-29-2011, 06:59 AM
hi All

a lot of people just "lurk" and do not participate on the forums, this and the other one as well. they have over 500 members but only about 30 partake in any conversations.

Maybe check the auto log in system, i know mine does not work. it can be set up to log you in automatically.

also just block some sections like the registry and anything where private info can be gleaned from for non logged in members.

I feel if you are to lazy to take 20 seconds to log in, how much benefit are you to the forum. we all need to participate to make the forum work. even if it is just an introduce yourself email or what you do when not syncroing. some times we need expertise in another field other than syncro related stuff and then we can use people in the syncro community rather that outsiders. ie i need some one to cast some ali for me, there is some on the syncro forum that does this. so i will use him rather than using some one else.

so far 93 of 245 members have posted something on the forum. which is not bad. but the more input you have and give the bigger and better the community will be.this forum can and will benefit every one even if not syncro related.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
My take is keep it closed. My auto login works so it's no issue. Problem with autologon is that you eventually forget your password, with the result that you can't sign on at a different computer. Was with friends once, wanted to show them something on the site, but couldn't!
Maintaining usernames and passwords is an absolute schlepp, especially if you work with many systems as I do, but unfortunately it has to be like that.........

It's not just a 4x4, it's a Syncro........
Find all posts by this user
09-29-2011, 09:37 AM
I agree with Stuart

I surf forums a lot and its nice to just read and not all ways have to register.
Obviously one need to register if you want to post and participate.

Allowing people to read would maybe get them to register and become more active in the future.
Building a forum takes a lot of time and we need to as much exposure as possible.

If I found a site, but I had to register before I could see anything, I would just move on to a different site.
Give them something to read and some will return for more.

Forums are a numbers game, you might have 20% active participation(if you are lucky). That is just how it is. The more you allow in the more you will have that participate in the end.

I think keep it open, but register to post and to see the for sale sections.

Info should be free, allow people to read, that is what makes the NET great!!
09-29-2011, 09:51 AM
The reality is that on all forums there is a small core group of participants and then a large group of non active members. That's just the way it is. These members will log in when they are looking for some specific info or help or wanting to buy or sell something. Others read regularly but either do not feel qualified, or have the desire to comment. Occasionaly some may contribute something valuable and also many of them may make use of the various services offered by other members. It's all good and it doesn't make sense to shut people out or make it difficult for them. I have a wide range of interests and belong to a lot of forums. Most of them I make use of or post on only occasionaly. It's naive to think that everyone who owns a Syncro wants to be actively involved on the forum. But I do think every Syncro owner could benefit from belonging to the forum and we will all in turn benefit from a larger membership base.
09-29-2011, 09:53 AM
My 2c's worth:
If we keep the form closed, it might just make someone who could be a valuable contributor in future, decide that this is not for them.
I've been lurking on 4x4 community and wilddogs for years, and learned a lot.
If you want to keep some sections closed, see how whitesmoke.co.za does it. In my opinion just enough to get me to join them and see all the info available.
Regards,
Philip
p.s: Ian, Sela

I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain
Where the streets have no name
09-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Philip Wrote:My 2c's worth:
If we keep the form closed, it might just make someone who could be a valuable contributor in future, decide that this is not for them.
I've been lurking on 4x4 community and wilddogs for years, and learned a lot.
If you want to keep some sections closed, see how whitesmoke.co.za does it. In my opinion just enough to get me to join them and see all the info available.
Regards,
Philip
p.s: Ian, Sela

Wilddogs is a great example of how to run a forum.

Hey Philip, what is your forum name on WD?
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
As most say, have the forum mostly open, and have certain closed sections, like registry, for sale, wanted etc. the aircooledvw forum does not let anyone post unless they introduce themselves, that gives guys an incentive to start posting. once you are into posting it becomes fun. and maybe you think what you have to say is not relevent but may put a new spin on something. some people think out of the box better than others, you may come up with a simple solution for a problem that other battle with but are to ashamed to ask about.

and to solve the log in password problem, i have the same password and login code on all the forums i belong to.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
syncromad Wrote:As most say, have the forum mostly open, and have certain closed sections, like registry, for sale, wanted etc. the aircooledvw forum does not let anyone post unless they introduce themselves, that gives guys an incentive to start posting. once you are into posting it becomes fun. and maybe you think what you have to say is not relevent but may put a new spin on something. some people think out of the box better than others, you may come up with a simple solution for a problem that other battle with but are to ashamed to ask about.

and to solve the log in password problem, i have the same password and login code on all the forums i belong to.

stuart

I agree

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!