Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Self Confessed Car Nut
05-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Self Confessed Car Nut
Hi Everybody

My name is Nick Elzinga, a Durbanville resident for most of my life, but have lived in Somerset West and the Cape Town city bowl. I have been running my own business for the past ten years selling access control equipment - gate motors, garage door operators, remote controls, intercom systems, CCTV and video intercoms, electric locks, associated hardware and various other items.

I've been a car nut most of my life - I guess since my dad brought home a BMW Isetta 300 when I was about 6 years old, but I guess it got really bad round about the time I was in matric. My first car was a Volkswagen 411 which my dad bought me at the time I was doing National Service and I still have a soft spot for Type 4s and currently have three 412LE Variants.

For many years I was a Citroën fanatic and have owned Citroen GSs constantly since the age of 21. My first Citroën was a brand new GS X2 Le Mans and I had it for 16 years and did 200,000km in it before selling it. I have owned three GSs and still have one currently rusting badly out in the driveway thanks to a neighbour who has prevented me from putting up an awning to protect some of the cars from the elements. It took about 16 years to acquire my dream car - a Citroen CX 25 GTi Turbo 2. My grandfather always used to say "may you get what you want and may you want it when you get it'. I have to say the CX has been a bit of a disappointment. It has some serious design faults which spoil the driving experience. Ventilation is pathetic, so driving it in the summer isn't a whole lot of fun and although it is fast, it really needs a V6 engine rather than a 2.5 litre turbocharged 4 cylinder. I owned a Citroën DS Pallas for three years too, and it was a very nice example, but it was not one of my favourite cars, so sold it to a friend that wanted it.

During the 1980s, an interest in Chevrolet Corvairs (American Porsche) developed and I now own two - the first of the first series and the first of the second series.

I've also had a long-time fascination with rotary engines and love the concept. I bought an NSU Ro80 many years ago and managed to convert it from Ford V4 power back to original and did about 5,000km before stripping it for a respray. Unfortunately an unplanned house move occured right in the middle of proceedings and the car has remained stripped for well over a decade with everything packed in boxes. I blame my mother for this LOL.

I love VW T3s and can't explain why I don't have a Caravelle in the fleet other than to say we had four in succession at work during the nineties and I drove them on a daily basis for about five years. In 2009 I started looking for a T3 Doka and after chasing Dokas all over the country, I eventually decided to get one I had seen in the Strand in June of that year. As the vehicle was registered in Namibia there were certain administrative issues which took a few months to resolve, but I eventually took delivery in January last year. It's not a Syncro, but maybe one day!

Apart from cars I have numerous other interests and hobbies. I have a huge interest in aviation and collect aviation art, both photos and art prints. I have enough framed prints to fill a gallery. I have also started a collection of 1:200 scale model diecast aircraft, mostly revolving around a theme - SAA orange tails. This is not my favourite scale, but it's one that is well covered and the larger sizes start getting very pricey - as in thousands of Rand. This lead on from collecting scale model cars. I have a number of 1:18, 1:43 and 1:64 (Hot Wheels) models. I am also keen on photography and have a Sony point and shoot as well as a new digital SLR that I am still learning to use. I'm not very good at it, but I'm also learning to play the keyboard. I enjoy hiking/camping, but haven't been anywhere in a while because there's always so much to do around the house. Perhaps with the Doka, I might now be able to get away at short notice because one can sleep in the back. I have a young dog that I love to bits and he keeps my quite busy as he is very active. We sometimes go for long walks on the beach usually at Silwerstroomstrand, where it is mostly quite deserted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Re: Self Confessed Car Nut
Hey Nico
We have a few things in common. I also love the type 4's and Citroens. My dad used to work for VW and Citroen when I was young and we had a few brand new VW 411's and 412's and GS's in our driveway. We occasionaly had a DS as well. I was pretty young but clearly remember seeing the GS's on the assembly line here in PE.

I've also owned and restored a couple of classic Alfas over the years. They are fantastic cars.

Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Re: Self Confessed Car Nut
I had a 1958 Traction Avant which I bought in 1970 for R 35.00 and sold two years later for R50.00, wish I'd kept it, wonderful car. You could wind the windows out for air and turn the front seats round for parties as well as picnic on the flat bonnet whilst lounging on the mudguards.
Find all posts by this user