Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best Overland 14 inch Tires
03-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Best Overland 14 inch Tires
It is time to buy 6 new 14 inch tires for the bus. As far as I can gather, available options are limited. Thus my reason for turning to people with experience rather to the retailers selling limited brands.

Referring to other threads on the forum, it is apparent that the Conti(nental) World Contact 215/80/15 tires are the favorites. I however (at this stage) do not wish to upgrade from 14 inch to 15 inch tires.

My question thus is quite simple, what is the best available overland 14 inch tires for the T3? If such options are available, I am looking for something all-purpose all-terrain (dealing with anything from rocky roads to muddy terrain to Botswana's thick sand), but also taking into consideration getting to Namibia and Botswana from the Western Cape. If I have to choose, a tire geared for long distance tar roads and thick sand sections.

Referring to other threads on the forum, the 205/80r14 size is the apparent answer. Searching some other websites, none of the available brands match this. According to my Hi-Q dealership, only Dunlop produce something close to this. Can you perhaps recommend the best tire for our bus?

Any other suggestions in this regard?

sunjomar
Johan de Kock, Hermanus
Syncronizer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2019, 06:45 PM
RE: Best Overland 14 inch Tires
I'm using the 14" Dunlop SP Trakgrip A/T. I've been through deep sand, mud and up rocky passes in Namibia and Botswana and been very impressed. I also drive daily on tar and they are not too noisy.

Nick

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
Find all posts by this user
03-26-2019, 07:12 AM
as Nick says, dunlop trakgrip, 205 r14, currently the only AT 14" tyre on the market in SA, they are good all rounders

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
03-26-2019, 07:35 AM
(03-26-2019 07:12 AM)syncromad Wrote:  as Nick says, dunlop trakgrip, 205 r14, currently the only AT 14" tyre on the market in SA, they are good all rounders

Thank you very much, Stuart and Nick. This is also what my local Hi-Q dealer said. I just could not think that the Dunlops was the only available choice. I still have some old Nankang 205R14C 's on the bus, which made me think that there must be other choices.

We'll then stick to the Dunlop SP Trakgrip 205R14C 's.

sunjomar
Johan de Kock, Hermanus
Syncronizer